Thursday, December 31, 2009

Can I replace Sour Cream with Cream Cheese?

I'm making Chicken with Salsa. The recipe calls for Sour Cream but I don't have that much. Can use Cream Cheese instead?Can I replace Sour Cream with Cream Cheese?
You can substitute 1 cup plain yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough cream to make 1 cup OR 3/4 cup buttermilk mixed with 1/3 cup butter, for each cup of sour cream called for. I've never heard of using cream cheese, though.Can I replace Sour Cream with Cream Cheese?
Yes, thin it with some milk.
I would use a little milk for thinning and be prepared for a sweeter and creamer sauce, I think that's a great idea, I'll use it next time.
Cream cheese will give it a more thick tangy texture... try it!!!
It's going to give it a sweeter flavor that sour cream. But you can whip it up in a blender with some milk or cream until it's the consistency of sour cream. Also, decrease the amount of salt that you use. Cream cheese is a lot saltier than sour cream.
It really depends upon what you are making. It will change the flavor somewhat so depending upon what you're making will depend whether it can equal as a substitute. I think you may want to add a little milk or water to make the consistency closer (again, depending upon what you are making).
I don't know about your particular recipe, however I know that in cheesecake they sub sour cream for cream cheese. I once had a salsa recipe for a dip that required cream cheese and I used 1/2 %26amp; 1/2 of sour crm %26amp; cream cheese. Practice makes perfect. Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment