Saturday, December 26, 2009

Is it safe to use antiseptic cream like savlon on cats ears?

Our puss has some scabs on the edges of her ears, took her to vet - no ear mites. She thought it may be rabbit fleas (which bite and drop off) so gave her the flea spot and a course of antibiotics. A week later - no change to scabs.Is it safe to use antiseptic cream like savlon on cats ears?
I am not familiar with Savlon, which I think is a British product. I do, however, use Sudocrem (brought a tub back with me my last visit). I haven't had any problems with my cats and Sudocrem, but, each cat reacts differently so just try a dab first.





Personally, I think Sudocrem is the bomb, and generally a miracle ointment.





However, whenever I might be unsure about using a human treatment on a pet, I do an internet search something like ';Savlon cats (or felines).';Is it safe to use antiseptic cream like savlon on cats ears?
Always ask your vet or someone that knows a lot about cats, and that you can trust before trying new things you aren't sure about on your cat.





It is true, cats lick themselves, and some antiseptics and creams that you would use on a human could be fatal to a cat even in small amounts.





If I were you, I'd ask my vet if there is any type of special cat cream or ointment, specially made for cats that I could use for fleas, or whatever the cat has that needs to be treated.





Always ask a professional, if you aren't sure about it at first.
I would call and ask the vet what is safe to give because cats lick themselves.
Try a little plain petroleum jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment