Friday, December 18, 2009

Why is my homemade ice cream a funny consistency?

I'm making home-made ice cream using a Kitchen Aid ice cream mixing bowl and my ice cream had kind of a strange texture, it was a little bit airy, like a meringue or sorbet rather than an ice cream. I know it's not my ingredients, I used cream, but am thinking it may have something to do with the freezing process. Thanks for your help!Why is my homemade ice cream a funny consistency?
Did you whipped it a lot before you put it in the machine? if yes, then that's why. Plus you don't want to over whip your cream otherwise, you'll get butter or it'll have that buttery texture (not exactly like butter but, that lard feeling on your tongue).





Did you scald/boil your cream first? You should, then let it cool, add your flavoring, etc... let it cool for 2 hours in the fridge, and then put it in your machine.Why is my homemade ice cream a funny consistency?
You may be over mixing. Once the mixture has set-up (been chilled as much as possible to soft-serve consistency), any continued mixing will just add air to the cream. Kinda like making whipped cream, the more you whip, the airier it is. Freezing in the ice-cream maker should last no more than 25 minutes.
Homemade ice cream is not going to have the same texture as store bought. They beat all kinds of air in store bought. Taste it. Bet it tastes better than store bought.
Because its homemade---- try ben and jerrys.
i thought you were supposed to stir it every hour so its smooth. maybe thats it.

No comments:

Post a Comment